Joe Rogan Was 'Like An Alcoholic' With Video Games and Had to Quit Playing Them

Articles about video games and gamers.
penix
Site Admin

Post by penix »

https://gamerant.com/joe-rogan-video-game-addiction/

On a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, host Rogan discusses how he developed a serious addiction to video games.
by Dalton Cooper
July 12, 2020

Joe Rogan is one of the world's top podcast hosts and is also recognized as UFC's premiere color commentator. As far as hobbies go, Rogan apparently spent some time playing video games, but evidently had to stop because he became addicted to them and they were impacting his health.

This came to light in a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience, where Rogan and guest Hannibal Buress were discussing the PS5 Unreal Engine tech demo trailer. The discussion then went to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with Buress stating that he turned to video games to help him cope with the situation, playing games like NBA 2K for up to 12 hours each day. Rogan then brought up the LAN room that's next door to the recording studio, but that he can't use it anymore because he was "like an alcoholic" when it came to video games.

"We were playing hours every day, to the point where Jamie was telling me I had a problem," Rogan said, primarily in reference to the game Quake Champions. "My hands would be sweaty, I would feel like I'm nervous," Rogan said. "I physically was feeling bad." Rogan stated that his game addiction caused him stress and was impacting his sleep schedule, so he ultimately decided to step away from the hobby.

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of gamers won't struggle from serious game addiction, but there are those who are genuinely impacted by it. The World Health Organization has gone as far as to declare excessive gaming as a mental health disorder, and there are some people who have had to go to rehabilitation facilities just to get their video game addictions under control.

And while the World Health Organization has spoken out about excessive gaming in the past, the organization has recently encouraged people to spend their time playing video games. WHO wants people to stay inside and play video games while the world continues to grapple with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, so while Buress' 12 hours per day of NBA 2K may still be a little much, it's definitely better than going out and potentially spreading the virus.